Sunday, July 17, 2011

Copic Coloring versus Prismacolor Pencils

Copic coloring is all the rage right now and it seems the Prismacolor pencils used with Odorless Mineral Spirits (OMS) have been placed in the back of the drawer.
On the plus side the Copic colored images (orange) are vibrant and have an enormous about of depth. On the minus side the Copics can cost upwards of $7 a piece and the paper you use can be quite pricey as well. You also must understand blending and shading to use them to their full potential.
On the minus side Prismacolored images with OMS lack the depth of the Copics and can look quite grainy. On the plus side the Prisma pencils are not nearly as expensive as the Copics and quite frankly just about any colored pencils, including the Dollar Store variety, will give the same results. While an understanding of blending and shading will certainly help, you can easily have quicker success with colored pencils.
Both images below were colored on Georgia-Pacific paper which is very economically priced but I don't like the Georgia-Pacific with the Copics. It is much too porous and dries too quickly to blend as well as I would like. On the other hand I absolutely loved it with the colored pencils.
So what is my personal preference?--Copics--and probably not for all the reasons you think. I do like the vivid colors of the Copics and the depth but believe it or not one of my main reasons I like using them is because I have always held my pencils too tight. As a result I have an unsightly knot on my middle finger. Coloring with the Prismacolor pencils is no different. My hand becomes easily fatigued and I just can't do as much as I would like. I have missed using my pencils and am going to make a conscience effort to use them more often. BTW I have no affiliation with either company, have not taken any classes on using either product and am not an artist by any means...I can't even draw stick people. These are just my personal opinions.

I wasn't very happy with the picture of the card I uploaded previously. One of my digital cameras is really weirding out so here it is again. I'm entering it in the Birthday Sundaes "Anything Goes" Challenge and Copic Coloring Challenge at Color Me Copic.


Below is the card I colored with the Prismacolor pencils and OMS


I'm entering it into the Bling It On Challenge "Anything Goes."

sparkle - http://www.sparklee.com

11 comments:

  1. I love them both! I don't use pencils (yet) or copics I use Promarkers. Half the price and just as great as copics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of them are really nice however the copics card is brighter. Thanks for the awesome review. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are very beautifully colored but I am partial to the Copics myself lol. I love how you colored her hair. Thank you for joining us at CMC Copic challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Love them both, saw one at B-day Sundaes and came to have a closer look. Great coloring. Good luck with challenge.
    I have become a follower.
    You can see my entry at
    www.Cardsbyjudie.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are so pretty! Loving the hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to know... You did a great job on both of your cards and your coloring of the skin tones is wonderful what colors did you use?? Please stop by my blog and let me know. I have so much trouble and I have friend that I want to send cards to but I do not send then cards with people (I do have then)on then because I have a very hard time color their skin tones. I really need help. Thanks for joining us at Color Me Creative. Hugz, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. a fabulous card!! :0)..thanks for sharing with us at Bling It On and goodluck..hugs Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both the cards and your write up was very insightful! I just started using digital stamps not long ago and got myself a set of prisma coloured pencils dirt cheap on clearance. I think I'll stick with those for now :) It was neat to see the difference though!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh and thanks for joining us this week at Birthday Sundaes!
    Tara
    http://creativeprincess-homemadehappiness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a copic & prisma pencil user, this is a great write up. I think a lot of your visitors can learn from you. Both cards are great but I am partial to the copics myself :) Thanks for playing along with Birthday Sundaes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. both super cards hun!!
    Thanks for joining us at Bling it On this time would love to see you again
    hugs
    laney

    ReplyDelete